Saturday, July 23, 2011

The 8 round path

9th century Buddhist master Lin Chi is credited with saying "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." A thought provoking koan about religious fetishism...or a literal suggestion? Were it the latter of the two I would opt to kill Buddha with a Smith and Wesson Performance Center 627 with a 2 5/8 inch barrel.

Performance Center guns have incredible triggers. I should know...I've fired (dry) many (at the store). The first time I dry fired a 627pc I couldn't stop pulling the trigger; I couldn't believe how smooth it was, and almost non existent in single action. The PC also comes with recessed chambers to allow the use of moon clips. A handy alternative to manually reloading each individual bullet. The 2 5/8" barrel is the minimum length needed to have a full size extractor to ensure those long .357's get fully ejected in one stroke. Were this my ideal gun it would have a 3" barrel, but as master Buddha says: "It is our very search for perfection outside of ourselves that causes our suffering." Which I think is his way of saying 3/8" shy of perfection can still be perfect.

I'm a sucker for revolvers though, especially revolvers with unfluted cylinders...that hold 8 rounds. Compact Ahrend's grips (pictured) seal the deal. The 627 is a reliable, potent sidearm; worthy of dispatching the illusion of enlightenment.

3 comments: